Flights to Porto
If you want a great introduction to the north of Portugal then catching flights to Porto is a good start. This riverside city features both modern and medieval attractions in a stunning setting and is close enough to the Atlantic Ocean for cheap flights to Porto to be worth every penny. Use your common sense and choose Vayama.ie to find you great deals on flights to Porto.
Central Porto is compact enough to walk around and see most of the sights on offer quite easily. The city is strung along the banks of the Douro River with five bridges spanning across to connect to the Vila Nova de Gaia, the headquarters of the main port manufacturers.
Here are some things that are useful to know before embarking on your trip to Porto:
- Sitting on the banks of the beautiful Douro River, Porto is one of Europe’s oldest cities and is a UNESCO certified World Heritage Site.
- The historic riverfront was an outpost for the Roman Empire
- The city centre has a population of almost 250,000
- Luckily, the currency used is the Euro and the timezone is the same as Ireland – say goodbye to jet-lag!
- Porto enjoys a semi-Mediterranean climate though its cooler than many other Iberian cities due to its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean
Must see spots in Porto
You can trace the history of wine and port making at the Museu do Vinho do Porto, as well as taste some of its wares. For top art exhibits, go to the Soares dos Reis National Museum or, for more modern works, the Museu de Arte Contemporanea.
The riverfront is a World Heritage Site due to its well-preserved buildings and old world flavour. Those arriving from flights to Porto should head there first of all, to the Ribeira district, for a stroll around the many shops and restaurants. River cruises are available to get a different aspect of the city.
Not far from the city centre is the seaside resort of Foz do Douro, packed at weekends with locals and tourists escaping the city. It is a great place to sample freshly caught seafood and the local wine.
Top Attractions in Porto
With so much to do in Porto, it’s difficult to fit everything in. From Port tasting in the city’s cellars to meandering through the city itself, you’ll find much to keep you occupied. Here are a few of our favourites.
- Take a tour of the city’s port cellars. Enjoy red, white and tawny varieties of the drink and find out which one perfect for you.
- Ponte Luis I Bridge is one of the most incredible sights in Porto. Built over the Douro River, it links Porto and neighbouring region Vila Nova de Gaia, offering picturesque views of both. If you can make it at sunset or sunrise, you’re in for a treat
- Taste the local delicacies. Like the Irish, the Portuguese are proud of their heritage and this is evident through their food. Local fish and vegetables are a plenty, but if you’re feeling adventurous, pick up a ‘Franceschina’. Dripping in cheese and tomatoes, this sandwich will leave a lasting impression.
- The Porto Cathedral & the Sao Francisco church
- The Serralves Museum of Modern Art
- The Ribeirnha Promenade
Flying to Porto from Dublin
Portugal has a sunny climate with hot summers and mild winters so any time is a good time to grab flights to Porto. Down south can be baking hot during the summer months but you will not have to suffer that heat if you get on Porto flights.
You will enjoy your holiday even more if you get cheap flights to Porto and the way to do that is through Vayama.ie. So grab the opportunity and look forward to a relaxing holiday in the sun.